The history of St Andrew’s VC Primary School, cannot be separated from the history of education in Congresbury. In 1215 when St Andrew’s Church was consecrated by Bishop Jocelyn, it is recorded that in the open nave ‘market was held in bad weather, village assemblies gathered, property was stored in times of danger and a school was kept.’
There are many snippets of interesting facts and memories about the village and the school in the local library - in particular The story of Congresbury by Alex Cran, Redcliffe Press 1983 from which some of the information on this page has been taken. Another place to look is Congresbury History Society - click on the image to visit their website
The Court House
The major change in educational provision in the village came via the Church and the National Society for Promoting Education of the Poor. Records show that in 1863, 130 children were educated in the Court House under a single Headmistress!.
The Old School Rooms
Funds were then found (Bristol Charity Trustees £200, Diocesan Education Fund £40, Government £120) for a new building in 1871, which is now the Old School Rooms. From the beginning a fee of 2d per child was charged for the first two of a family, all others were free.
1872 examination results
Qualified for exam 30
Passes in reading 25
Passes in writing 22
Passes in arithmetic 26
Many villagers have fond memories of their time at Congresbury Church of England School.
Building two new schools
We now move to more recent times for the next major development. When Congresbury expanded in the 1960s and 70s a population of young parents with a strong parent teachers association campaigned for a new infant and junior school. So, in 1971 a new County Infants’ School was opened followed in 1973 by a new Church VC Junior School. The latter by a land swap with the diocese, thus the church had land to build a school and the village had the now Old School Rooms.
St Andrew's Primary School
St Andrew's Primary School was created in 2009 with the amalgamation of the Glebe Infants School and St Andrew's Junior School. Subsequent renovations and building work has physically joined and extended the original buildings to provide a wonderful space for children and staff to continue the tradition of education in Congresbury.